Tuesday, February 20, 2007

What's Special About Midlife Career Change?


When reviewing career change books, I sometimes add the comment, 'This book seems more appropriate for 20-somethings or 30-somethings. But midlife career changers will resist."

(1) You need different networking systems. A Young Career Changer (YCC) can ask for informational interviews. He can ask to shadow someone for a day or two.

But if you're in your 40's or 50's, managers may resist opening their doors to someone who's a peer, perhaps someone who's been working elsewhere. When I taught live MBA marketing, my "older" students had trouble getting interviews for projects. "Two gray-haired men? They thought the IRS had come to call," said one student.

For the record, I offered to create a special project for them, but they declined. They'd caught the fire!

(2) You're un-learning a style of professionalism.

As I like to say: Corporate life is like professional football. Carreer change is like playground basketball.
A whole different set of moves. You can do it, once you realize what's going on.

(3) Life happens.

I'm not typical: my parents are gone and my next-of-kin has fur and paws. Many 40-plus career changers have teenagers, boomerang kids, aging parents and a whole lot more.

Some of my clients experience health concerns, whether seeking additional medical screenings or dealing with symptoms.

(4) Your day job is more demanding.

By mid-career you've probably moved up the corporate ladder and you have more responsibilities. As an executive or professional you may have more flexibility but you work longer hours. And your family becomes more important.

(5) Your comfort zone has gotten broader and deeper.

What's a lateral move to a YCC may be a giant leap backward at mid-career. I encourage clients to consider the consquences of, say, giving up a large home for a small apartment. Some care a lot. Some barely notice -- they're too excited about the future.

Success depends on feeling proud and happy, genuinely, authentically. Anything else gets in the way.

Please leave a coomment for me!

No comments: