Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The ONE Time You Must Ask About Salary Before The Interview


Q. I have a job. It's not great but it could be worse and it does pay the bills. Last week I got invited to interview for a job that sounds like fun. But I suspect they're offering less money than I'm making now."

A. When you're working, you may have trouble escaping for interviews. You have to set limits and screen your interviewers -- a nice position of power.

Talk to the interviewer. "I'm interested in the job. I have a job and my job search must be confidential, so I want to save my time and yours as well. Can you give me a sense of the salary range for the position?"

Of course, some interviewers will be turned off. You may lose an interview. I would say, "If they don't respect your time before the interview, how will you be treated once you're hired?"

No absolutes in the career world! Some companies treat applicants horribly but then honor their employees like royalty.

But most don't.

No comments: