Saturday, February 24, 2007

Career Advice to cope with a job you hate


Last week a reporter from Australia emailed me, getting background for an article about careers. As it turned out, the questions related directly to my ebook on "Ten things to do when you really, really hate your job."
http://www.cathygoodwin.com/hatejob.html

An example of the career advice I shared:

Q. How do we ‘readjust’ our attitude to be able to cope in a job we don’t like?

My answer:

You can't force yourself by saying, "I have to like this job. I have
to like this job."

Instead, think of your job as a vehicle you can use to move to your next job. What can you use: Does your company offer training and education programs? Are you improving your resume every week or at least every month? Are you learning new skills?

Another technique is to regard your job as a day job. Be careful to do enough so you won't get fired. But do the minimum and use your energy to work towards your real dream.

Often you need to work with a consultant or coach to avoid getting caught up in the day job. It's familiar. You get a check every week. You're in a comfort zone.

Let's face it: Cushy day jobs can be hazardous to your career. Believe me: I know!

No comments: