Monday, March 05, 2007

Stuck in dead-end job...

Watching Barbara Ehrenreich (author of Bait and Switch) on BookTV - a 3-hour indepth perspective.

One caller said, "I'm stuck in a dead-end job, although I have a college degree. I just got divorced and needed a job after not working for many years."

Ehrenreich referred her to unitedprofessionals.org.

Here's another idea. If you're at the lowest rung of the organizational ladder, choose an organization with upward mobility. Hotels, airlines and other organizations tend to promote from within. I met a hotel General Manager who says he began working as a bus boy in a hotel dining room.

Do some research. Kinko's associates do surprisingly well with profit-sharing.

It happens. I met a woman in Florida who rose from secretary to VP of three different organizations, starting over each time.

If your organization doesn't promote from within, or it's too small to offer upward mobility, you need a new employer.

2 comments:

Jeri said...

What a wealth of great information! (not just this post - but I scrolled back through several) Thank you for taking the time to write this!

Jeri

Cathy Goodwin said...

Thanks, Jeri! I love your comment and hope you'll come visit again. You can subscribe to my ezine to get weekly articles.
www.cathygoodwin.com/subscribe.html

Cathy Goodwin