Saturday, March 17, 2007

Performance review: don't delay taking action


Recently I've had a few queries that were remarkably similar to one another. They went like this:

"Hi Cathy. Six months ago I had a bad performance review. Now I am on a performance improvement plan. Attached is the letter from HR. Can you help?"

I positively hate these messages because by this time, there's not much we can do. I encourage everyone to hire a lawyer to negotiate settlements, references and anything that will make the transition easier. Often employers have already seen the writing on the wall. In fact, it's in their own handwriting. They may make concessions if you are willing to resign immediately. For example:

  • 90 days on the payroll with no responsibilities (when you might be on a 60-day warning period)
  • extra severance if you've been employed a long time
  • outplacement or independent career consulting services


They'll probably also agree to offer a noncomittal reference if anyone calls. When I work one-to-one with clients we discuss ways to address the reference question.

I think of other emails and phone calls that begin, "Hi Cathy. I just got a bad performance review. It's a first for me! How do I respond? What do I do?"

Now I can probably help. You have time to search for a new job, mend fences, and do all sorts of things to preserve your finances and well-being.

Each situation is diffferent. I recommend the Power Hour - my 60-minute consultation. Some people recognize the value. But often I never hear from these callers again. Somehow they feel I should advise them for free.

I often wonder how many of them end up with the 60-day notice, performance plan or worse. I wish I could warn them: A small investment in the early stages will save a lot of pain later.

Meanwhile,check out
my ebook.

No comments: