Monday, January 22, 2007

Donald Trump: The Apprentice Los Angeles: A Quitter I admire



Okay, so The Apprentice reality television show is pretty grim this year. It’s fun to watch scenes from Los Angeles flash by. No matter how many times I’ve visited, LA always seems exotic and special to me.

For those who (wisely) avoid television, reality and otherwise: On this show 18 smart men and women come from all over the Western Hemisphere to compete for a job in billionaire Donald Trump’s organization. The job pays $250K USD a year, which would be a pay cut for some contestants. But they seek adventure, prestige and exposure. Each week teams compete in marketing tasks that have marginal relevance to the real work they did before and will do later.

But last night an Apprentice did the unthinkable. She quit. Donald Trump was furious. She’d messed up his carefully orchestrated game plan.

“She should have stayed to take her medicine,” Trump’s designated hench man grumbled.

Why? I wondered? She knew she’d done a lousy job. So did everybody else. Why waste half an hour hashing out the reasons?

And she made a good point: she hadn’t planned to sleep in a tent when she joined the show. She didn’t function well in Tent City. Why stick around and wait for more?

“Would you quit if you had won?” asked The Donald.

“Probably,” she said.

I think she could have said, “Probably not. If I’d done a good job and we won, I would know I could function in this environment.”

I admire her spirit. She didn’t waver or back down or cry. She even gave a cheery little wave as she headed down the driveway, pulling her suitcase on wheels...no doubt a staged performance, as there’s no place to roll in LA.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I admire that she stood her grown and knew herself. I myself would have fought tooth and nail to stay in the game.

As I said on my blog, I honestly don't think that her future clients will trust her to do a good job if they see that airing.

Anonymous said...

I have really enjoyed watching The Apprentice until this season. I will no longer be watching the program. I think it is demeanin, humiliating, and belittling the people who are having to sleep outside and almost smacks of abuse because of the weather. I have to say that I admire Michelle for standing up to Donald Trump and his ire and expected bullying because of her "quitting." Of course, she did not sign up to sleep in tents! None of the other contestants had been so put out throughout their weeks. How can they possibly think and do their best thinking in that kind of environment? I will not watch another week of people having to go to those extremes to be on TV! They are not homeless! More of them should be self-respecting enough to say; "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" If the show can come to its senses and get back to the basics of letting people be people, then I will once again tune in.