Thursday, August 10, 2006

Unsolicited advice: Not from their intuition


Some time ago I fell into conversation with "Gretchen," another business consultant at a networking event. It was late. I'd had a glass of wine and was feeling relaxed...too relaxed! So I shared some of the challenges I was facing with my own business. Should I change the name. Should I attend a specific event. Aargh.

And then I went home, got busy with the dog and a couple of new clients, and forgot the conversation.

A few days later I was pleased to open my email and see a message from Gretchen. How nice, I thought. She's following up with a nice "glad to meet you note."

Instead, Gretchen treated me to a long, long list of suggestions for my business. I appreciated her concern for me, but I couldn't help wondering. If she's busy and successful, why would she spend the time writing me an email? I'm a fast writer. It would have taken me at least an hour. And I don't give away my time.

And if she knows her business, she should remember the cardinal rule of consulting (and coaching, for that matter). Information first. Recommendations second.

Finally. Gretchen is not a business consultant or a marketing consultant. Even if I like her ideas, wouldn't I want to check them out?

If I asked Gretchen, she'd probably say, "My intuition for you is..."

But I would respond, "That's pseudo-intuition. Real intuition does not lead to unsolicited advice. Ever."

Bottom Line: I'm going to remind my own clients to beware of unsolicited advice, getting or giving. Typically you just get paid in frustration.

Note: This article is based in part on my Special Report on Intuition:
Click here to learn more.

No comments: