Monday, January 09, 2006

[Great Career Tips] Employee gifts to managers

Q. I am a manager with eight direct reports. I received a couple of Christmas gifts this last season and don't know how to handle the situation. Should I give them back? What can I say?

A. Begin by digging a little deeper.
Why are these employees sending gifts? Was there a custom from their previous department? Are they your best or your worst employees?

I wouldn't hurt their feelings or make them feel bad. Instead of returning the gift, can you either share with the whole group (as Eric suggested) or donate to a charity? You could say, "I realize I should have clarified our policy on gift-giving." And send out a memo as soon as possible.

When I was a college professor, students (especially those from Asia) often gave me gifts. If the course was over and the student was from another country, I sometimes felt I had to accept. But I tried to educate students: the best gift
to a professor is a nice letter of appreciation with copies to the dean and maybe VP-Academic Affairs.

And a neighbor who's a police officer shared a funny story. In Seattle, cops pay for all their food and coffee. They do not accept freebies. A new officer from the South breezed through the Dunkin Donuts without paying, just waving a thank you. Her supervisor had to call to explain, "We don't do that here. You have to go back and pay."

She wasn't being mean -- she just assumed that was the custom. And your employees may feel the same way.

However, inappropriate gifts can be a warning signal. In one university where I was teaching, a married couple showed up to interview for two positions. As is customary, they were invited to an administrator's home for dinner. Afterward they sent a lovely floral arrangement.

This gesture was highly inappropriate and not at all customary. The couple was hired and went on to become the greatest trouble-makers in the department's history.

Cathy Goodwin, Ph.D.
Author, Career/Business Consultant, Speaker
"Why most career change fails (and how to write your own success story)"
http://www.cathygoodwin.com/subscribe.html

No comments: