Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Job Abandons You

Q: My company was just sold. My whole job description
changed and my workload nearly doubled with no increase in
compensation. Our friendly culture is now snarly and
gnarly. I used to love coming to work and now I dread
Mondays. Should I quit?

A: Maybe. I say, if your mental and physical
health have not been compromised, hang on.

But effective immediately:

(1) Figure out the minimum work you can do in order to keep
your job and avoid harming anyone. Use the time to begin
searching for a new position.

If you're a teacher or health care worker, you can't
neglect your students, patients and/or clients. But you may
be able to avoid the extra projects. It's very much a
judgment call.

(2)Avoid discussing your dismay with coworkers.

Keep your plans private. During a time of change,
loyalties shift. People you trusted will be acting out of
fear. When asked to comment on the changes, say something
neutral and positive.

(3) Begin networking and actively job searching.

Post your resume only if you can do so anonymously. Never
use your company's email or phone for a job search (or for
consultations with your career coach). If the company
furnishes you with a cell phone, get an extra just for
yourself. Get a yahoo or google email account.

(4) Keep calm.

It's easy to panic and many of your coworkers will. Come
up with a mantra that makes sense for you, like, "I am a
marketable executive with many options."

If you can't come up with options or you're feeling that
"deer in the headlights" freeze, schedule a call with a
consultant or coach. Choose your confidantes carefully:
friends and family may not help.

(5) Add extra sessions of exercise, relaxation and fun.

In my experience, your mind will work more creatively
after a workout at the gym, a movie, and/or dinner with friends
and family who keep the conversation off your career.

And as soon as you ride out this crisis -- whether things
get better at your job or you land a new one -- you know
what I'm going to suggest. Get your Marketability Plan
together and take the first steps immediately.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really good advice Cathy. I especially like item #2 for an additional reason. The more you hear yourself thinking and speaking negatively, the worse your feel.

I suppose an sub-item might be: Simply refuse to allow negativity.

This is so important because it creeps into conversations while networking and in interviews. That would be a red flag for prospective employers.

Cathy Goodwin said...

Excellent point -many thanks! I hadn't considered this. I'll be migrating this blog to typepad soon so hopefully keep in touch.

Anonymous said...

Amazing how quickly a culture brand can change. I would add to your great points to continue networking, learning, adding value and exercising even when gainfully employed again.