Sunday, September 23, 2007

Following a dream

Recently I talked to someone who said, "I hate my job."

"What would you do if you won the lottery?"

"I'd work in Europe." She didn't hesitate.

"So your real question is, 'How can I find a way to live
comfortably in Europe?'"

A few suggestions:

(1) Write down your dream every single day.

Some coaches recommend hanging a card in your office where
you can see it every day. Others suggest making a collage
around your dream -- a highly powerful technique.

(2) Google the web, testing different variations of the words.

"Work in Europe."
"Americans working in Europe."
"How can I get a job overseas."

(3) Broadcast your intentions.

Tell every single person you meet, "I am looking for ways to get
a job in Europe."

Don't listen to advice. Instead, listen for information, facts,
and experience. When a friend says, "I know someone who..." get the
name. Second-hand information can be misleading.

Turn away the nay-sayers
and wet blankets.

You'll be surprised at the responses. In my experience, the most helpful
tips will come from the least expected source.

No comments: