Monday, November 20, 2006

Audio or visual?


Recently I met someone in person after several months of phone communication. He had proposed a joint project and I was backing off, based on a number of phone communications and missed deadlines.

I was charmed by his style. If I hadn't made a firm decision ahead of time, I'd have said yes.

On the other hand, he was more of a visual person. He hoped to use the opportunity to convert me to say yes. But when we met, he picked up on my body language and nonvebal communication, and he dropped the idea almost immediately. We had a glass of wine and talked about everything but our project. As soon as we met, he recognized it was a dead deal.

I live on the phone and Internet, so I tend to forget the power of face-to-face. And I pick up more on the phone than I do in person. Many people work the opposite way.

No comments: